Hey we put up a sweet vimeo page to highlight all the excellent/terrible videos we took leading up to and during Imagine RIT. They show us working, us not working, and our installation mostly working! I’m just kidding our installation worked great. But they’re pretty fun and you should totally take a look.
One of the ideas we initially had last quarter was to allow users to create content for our games. Using a doodle app (working on our website) they could draw powerups that they could then collect in the game. We had one end of the system working, the ability to create doodles, but we needed a way to incorporate them into the games. So when i got a few hours free I decided to give it a go. And what do you know I figured something out. The first part is a php script on the server that supplies Flash with a filename list of a certain directory when asked. Flash then goes through that list and figures out which files are image files that it wants. It then loads one at random and places it in a movieclip setup beforehand. The background is a scrap of paper and the holder for the image is set to multiply so that the black and white doodle looks like it was drawn on the paper scrap. The games can then use this created Object where they want. I was really happy that this worked successfully and was not terribly complicated. Now we may or may not actually implement it depending on our time frame leading up to Imagine RIT. The thumbnail shows a my basic implementation of this system. The mug doodle was randomly selected from the approved image folder.
Working on developing the technology to track players within our environment. We have the technology to track any particular color in the environment. However, the issue we are trying to overcome is how to track “4″ different colors in a low light environment. First prototype is to use light filters which is demonstrated in this youtube video.
Today we tested rear projection surfaces, mirroring to decrease throw distance, and dual floor projection to eliminate shadows.